Why Do You Need Description of Aviation Safety Manager
- When hiring a new safety manager, you will certainly need to communicate to prospective applicants what will be the job duties; or
- When completing the job duties and requirements of key safety personnel which is required under the Safety Policy component of an aviation SMS program; or
- When conducting periodic job performance reviews of the airline or airport safety manager.
Safety Manager DescriptionAirline/Airport Safety Manager has been commonly an upper management appointment. Safety managers require higher levels of authority within the airline or airport when dealing with safety matters. To ensure/safeguard this degree of authority, safety managers should report directly to the accountable executive.
Safety Manager Attributes
- People skills;
- Problem solving skills;
- Project management skills;
- Communication skills (oral and written); and
- Computer skills to operate relevant software.
The accountable executive remains responsible for the aviation safety management system (SMS).
Accountable executives delegate the administration of the SMS to safety manager.
Typical Job Functions of Safety Managers
- Conduct gap analysis periodically to determine health of SMS;
- Manage SMS implementation plan as delegated by accountable executive;
- Regularly update accountable executive of current safety concerns;
- Administer risk management processes (hazard identification, risk assessments and risk mitigation);
- Monitor corrective actions to ensure accomplishment;
- Monitor safety performance and communicate performance to management;
- Maintain airline/airport safety documentation;
- Organize new employee safety training (SMS Induction);
- Organize staff safety training;
- Prepare or coordinate safety promotion communications (newsletters, workplace posters, etc);
- Manage proactive hazard identification systems; and
- Be involved in safety-related investigations.
Become an SMS PRO
About NWDS - founded in 2003 by six software engineers, NorthWest Data Solutions (NWDS) provides custom computer programming and systems design services. NWDS creates many types of software, including e-commerce, financial, defense, engineering, logistics, aviation and more. In 2007, NWDS developed SMS Pro™ a web based SMS application that supports an organization's overall SMS through safety reporting, safety documentation, safety risk management and safety assurance. SMS Pro™ is currently used by aviation organizations in the U.S., Canada, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East to help manage their SMS programs. NWDS continues to support SMS Pro™ and add new functionality. NWDS offers custom contract programming services in the U.S. and Canada and is managed by Chris Howell, one of the founders. Their headquarters is in Anchorage, Alaska. For information on NWDS visit their website at and www.asms-pro.com to learn more about SMS Pro™.